Cover Pic

Cover Pic

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Stitch dictionaries

You guys, how is it possible that I've never used a stitch dictionary before? They're awesome.

For those who don't know it's basically just a reference book with a library of different stitch patterns, from knit/purl combos to color work, lace, and cables. Pretty much everything.



There are a few different things I've knit a ton of and understand the basic construction (hats, scarves, socks, shawls, mittens, etc) that I look for patterns to add the interesting designs but still sometimes can't find just what I'm looking for. This is where the stitch dictionary comes in. Peruse the book, pick a stitch, add it in and voila new custom pattern. That's the great thing about knitting, it's been around so long there is no need to reinvent the wheel every time. Obviously not every possible combination of stitches is in any one dictionary but it's a great jumping off point.

I now want to find something to add zigzags or diagonal stripes to


So today I charted up a diamond lace pattern to make a simple lace scarf. The hardest part was finding a good knitting font so I could make the knitting symbols in excel. I used this font, if you're looking for one. I added a little bit of stockinet background, a border, and presto I have a scarf pattern to use for Alex's matching scarf. I'll probably write it up and put it on Ravelry as a free pattern just for fun since I've already done the hard work. I think I'm also going to try and do a new men's sock pattern since I'm bored with the vanilla latte socks. Basically I've just realized (for like the millionth time when it comes to knitting) all the possibilities out there for me even though I'm not super creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment