Cover Pic

Cover Pic

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A work in progress

My life is a work in progress. I've recently graduated law school and taken the bar but I'm currently funemployed (unemployed but mostly enjoying it- and trying not to worry about it). I thought I'd try out blogging as something else to keep me entertained. I spend most of my time knitting and watching tv, with some spinning thrown in since I'm learning that still too.

That all sounds boring even if you're me who is living it, so why should I blog about it? My friend said she would read it if I started blogging and she living in Sweden so I don't get to talk to her that much. She podcasts so I feel like she is talking to me all the time but I guess it's a bit one sided. So I'm blogging for her, and for me to have another thing to do while I spend my time on (my hopefully short) summer vacation.

So let's get to it.

What I'm knitting/ crafting.
I'm KiraG on Ravelry

I've started a sweater for my nephew and the reason that this is exciting (other than the fact that baby things are adorable) is that it's my very first time knitting anything two at a time. I'm using this technique for the sleeves so that they come out identical. Because any time you make two of something you have to try and remember exactly what you did the first time so they come out looking the same, and trying to get them the same length etc. It was a little bit fiddly at first but now it's pretty easy and I haven't even gotten my yarns tangled. I used this tutorial. I might try two at a time socks next, if I can find a good toe up two at a time tutorial because casting on socks at the toes is very different than casting on other things like sleeves. But I'm sure people have done it, I just need to find it.

The cuffs of the sweater also have a turned hem. I love the way they look. Seriously, I should do this for all of my sleeves instead of ribbing it just looks so crisp and clean.



Also I'm super into these sorts of blues right now. Deep and with a little green in it. Yes please.

I'm also working on a shrug for myself out of my first big hand spun project. It's a hand dyed merino that my parents got me. I started spinning in June and I have a kromski symphony.

The yarn is busier than what I'd normally buy but since the pattern is simple so it'll be ok. And it's nice and soft since it's merino. I should get back to spinning my BFL, that's my current spinning project, sooooo soft. And easier to spring because of the longer steeple length of the fiber.



I downloaded a cool drawing app for my iPad last night called sketches. You can use just your fingers or a stylus (I have a cheap one from HTC my fiancé got from work). But you can choose between all sorts of styles like a pen, pencil, marker, water color, paint etc. and on different types of paper (lined, canvas, etc). If you pay for the upgrades you can have more types of implements and draw on different layers and other fun things like that. I did not buy any of the upgrades because as I remembered last night I'm terrible at drawing so playing around with the free app is enough for me. But if you're into drawing a little bit I would definitely recommend it.

The stay at home life.
Sweeping is one of those chores that I just put off and put off. In our whole apartment there are probably only like 10 square feet of non-carpeted surface (bathrooms and kitchen basically). I know it will only take a few minutes to sweep and ill be so happy to not see my hair all over the bathroom floor but for some reason I just keep not doing it. I have no problem keeping the kitchen clean (dishes done, counters cleaned etc) but sweeping nope. Just doesn't happen.

One of my friends on Facebook mentioned how cats are basically just fluffy land sharks. I never thought about that before, but now as our kittens are growing into full sized cats they look more and more like predators. Even at just 7lbs they mean business with their claws and teeth. Luckily they're still pretty silly and fall off of things or run into the door on accident. I bet once we start letting them outside they'll be good hunters.



This seems like a good place to end my first post, so good bye. I'll probably talk to you all later. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment