Cover Pic

Cover Pic

Friday, September 4, 2015

The DIY project from hell

Since I've been funemployed I've been watching a lot of HGTV (home and garden TV for those with actual lives). It's mostly home improvement and home buying shows. It's made me think that I want to do things like that and make out place look awesome like the ones they show in tv. Luckily I am able to retain some sense and remember that I have no skills in this area, the last time I did any woodwork I ended up getting 7 stitches (stupid chisel). For now however, I have low ambition projects on the agenda.

First is to replace the shower head. We live in a condo that probably hasn't been updated since the mid nineties so all the fixtures are old and not very high end. Exhibit A, the current shower head functions but is kind of old and lots of the littles holes are plugged.



For my first try I used this nice shower head my dad gave me (it was extra from their remodel last year).




I've never done anything like this so my first step was of course to google it. This lead me to this tutorial by home depot about installing shower heads. I love the internet, and google of course.

I was eager to start, and step one was remove old shower head. I twisted and twisted but it was on super tightly so I couldn't get it off with just my hands. I went rummaging in our tools but sadly we had no wrenches. So back to Home Depot I went, to procure a wrench or something to help twist off the old shower head.

I found the wrench section and tried to figure out what I needed. I ended up getting a pair of adjustable pliers instead of a wrench because it seemed more multi-tasking useful as the wrenches were both more expensive and had a more limited range of motion.



This is the first tool I think I've ever bought, which made me feel like I must be adulting today. That and the fact that it was my 3rd time in Home Depot in like a week. Why does it always take so many trips? It's one of the mysteries of the universe.

But anyway, back at the work in progress that was my shower. Armed with my new adjustable plier I took off the old shower head.



Then I wrapped the threads of the thingy in plumbers tape and screwed on the new shower head.

Holy water pressure Batman!


Voilá new shower head installed. 

Now, skip to the next morning when Cooper goes to take a shower. Apparently it's got wayyyy too much power for how low the shower head is positioned and water was just spraying everywhere. A consultation with my dad lead me to discover that the old shower head had a pressure reducer inside of it. 

After determining that I only need the blue piece for the new shower head I took it off the spigot, added the pressure reducer and put the shower head back on. The pressure is less but still more than our old shower head. It's also still really low on our shower. It turns out my dad was on his way to Home Depot and he picked up an S pipe shower head extender thing to hopefully solve the height issue. However, we also needed a coupler to attach the extender to the current pipe that sticks out of the wall. So another day, another Home Depot trip for Kira. 

I went to Home Depot, got the connector piece and more plumbers tape (after wondering around not sure where to find what I was looking for for a while). 


Now, it's been a few days and like 4 trips to Home Depot for this one little project. I was excited to be pretty much done. I attach the connector to the pipe that comes out of the wall and attempted to attach the S pipe to the wall. Attempted being the key word. Because it won't screw in. Well it would, if the wall weren't there. 


Now the two curves of pipe aren't identical in their angles and it would screw in the other side but it would be such an angle that way that it would be pretty much useless. 


Sorry for the bad lighting, I was too irritated to care. 

So it seems like we just need a different shower head. Probably one with a hose attachment like the one I took down because that's basically a built in extender that will actually twist. Like the one I bought earlier this week and then returned. Stupid wall. It doesn't help that I skipped my shower this morning to wait and test out the new shower set up. So now I feel like I need a shower but it's still disassembled with the hope that maybe Cooper can figure out something I missed and we don't need to go back to Home Depot. 

This is why I don't DIY. 

Update: I took a shower with just the new shower head and no extender. I thought it was just fine. I had added the other plastic bit that was inside the old shower head that is maybe part of the pressure reducer so maybe that was it. But I don't think it needs to be adjusted anymore. We will leave it for now and if it doesn't work we will get a new one. But I'm glad to be done with this for now since we already have another project lined up for tomorrow: painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment